Were you or a loved one a victim of a medical error in Las Vegas, NV? Medical negligence is a leading cause of death in the U.S. If you were a victim, you may be entitled to compensation. An experienced Las Vegas medical malpractice lawyer at Battle Born Injury Lawyers can help you fight to recover compensation for medical bills, lost income, and your pain and suffering.
We’ve been working hard to protect injured clients since we opened our doors in 2010. To date, we’ve recovered over $100 million in compensation for people like you.
Our lawyers are ready to fight for you. Call or contact our law firm in Las Vegas, Nevada, to schedule a free consultation today at (702) 570-9000.
How Battle Born Injury Lawyers Can Help With a Medical Malpractice Claim in Las Vegas
We all trust doctors and hospitals to provide quality medical care when we need it most. Unfortunately, not all doctors provide the proper level of care. In fact, doctors and medical providers make mistakes every day. If your doctor was negligent, you deserve compensation for the harm you’ve suffered.
On the other hand, personal injury cases involving medical malpractice are always complicated, especially in Nevada. You deserve an experienced Las Vegas personal injury lawyer who will guide you through the process.
At Battle Born Injury Lawyers, we have over 85 years of experience between us. We’ve been recognized with a perfect-10 Avvo rating. We’ve also won the Avvo Client’s Choice Award and been rated by Super Lawyers.
Hiring us means you’ll have someone in your corner to:
- Gather evidence to establish the cause of your injuries
- Hire the experts and specialists required by Nevada law
- Calculate the fair value of your injury claim
- Handle all negotiations with the insurance companies and defense lawyers
Without expert legal guidance, it’s possible that your case could be dismissed before it even goes to court. Get the help you need by calling our Las Vegas personal injury attorneys for a free consultation today.
How Common Is Medical Malpractice in Las Vegas?
This study by Johns Hopkins stated that medical malpractice is one of the leading causes of death in the United States. The study found that approximately 440,000 Americans are killed every year because of medical mistakes. Those medical errors cost about $20 billion each year.
Data on medical malpractice claims are collected in the National Practitioner Data Bank. According to their research, insurance companies in Nevada paid out more than $207 million to compensate victims of medical negligence between 2009 and 2018.
What Is Medical Malpractice?
Medical malpractice happens when a healthcare professional fails to provide the proper standard of care. While not every mistake amounts to medical malpractice, some errors are so serious that they should never happen.
Any medical professional can be held liable for medical negligence. That includes doctors, nurses, and even hospitals.
At Battle Born Injury Lawyers, we handle all types of medical malpractice cases, including:
- Surgical errors
- Emergency room errors
- Anesthesia errors
- Nursing negligence
- Radiology errors
- Errors involving medications and prescription drugs
- Hospital-acquired infections
- Birth injuries
- Pharmacy errors
- Defective medical devices
- Bed sores
- Hospital negligence
- Nursing home abuse and neglect
- And more
If you or a loved one are suffering because of a medical mistake, call our Las Vegas medical malpractice attorneys today. We’ll help you fight to hold the negligent medical provider accountable.
What Is My Las Vegas Medical Malpractice Case Worth?
Every medical malpractice case is different. The value of your case will depend heavily on the type of harm you have suffered.
Still, there are some factors that tend to be relevant in putting a dollar value on a medical malpractice case. Those include:
- The nature of the doctor’s mistake
- The severity of the injuries you’ve suffered
- Whether you’re expected to make a full recovery or suffer long-term damage
- The cost of your past and future medical treatment
- Whether the injury impacts your ability to work
- The value of your lost wages
- Any damage to your lifestyle or quality of life
Doctors and hospitals hire teams of defense lawyers to protect them. Their job is to find any way possible to pay less than you deserve. To successfully recover the maximum compensation you deserve, you need a lawyer with specialized experience handling medical malpractice cases.
Our lawyers are always ready to help. You can learn more about our practice areas and experience by calling for a free consultation today.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Victims of Medical Malpractice?
Victims of medical malpractice are entitled to pursue compensation for two key types of damages: economic damages and non-economic damages.
Economic damages are designed to compensate for your financial losses, including:
- Past medical expenses
- The cost of future medical care made necessary by the mistake
- Lost wages and income
- Lost earning potential
- Physical therapy
- Any out-of-pocket expenses related to the injury or harm you’ve suffered
- Funeral costs, burial expenses, and other compensation for wrongful death
Non-economic damages include your personal, subjective losses, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Physical disfigurement and scarring
- Mental health disorders, such as anxiety, depression, and PTSD
- Loss of consortium
- Damage to relationships
Victims of medical negligence are entitled to recover the full amount of their economic damages. However, your non-economic damages award is subject to a cap. Regardless of the circumstances, you can only recover $350,000 in non-economic damages under Nevada medical malpractice laws.
What Causes Most Medical Errors in Las Vegas, Nevada?
Hospitals today are often understaffed and underfunded. That means hospital employees are often overworked and exhausted. Still, medical mistakes can happen for a wide variety of reasons.
Some of the most common causes of medical malpractice include:
- Failure to diagnose cancer or another condition
- Delayed diagnosis
- Misinterpreting lab results
- Failure to order the proper diagnostic tests
- Failure to take a full patient history
- Charting errors
- Communication failures
- Failure to provide proper post-operative care
- Failure to monitor the patient
- Failure to obtain the patient’s informed consent
- Inexperienced or untrained workers
- Unsanitary conditions
- Prescribing the wrong medication or failure to account for medication interactions
- Operating on the wrong patient or body part
- Failure to recognize a patient’s symptoms
- Failure to refer a patient to a specialist when called for
- Physician bias
We all know that health care professionals today are tired and overworked. Still, you shouldn’t have to suffer because you received substandard care. We know that money can’t restore your health. It can help ensure you’ll have the money you need for the future.
Do you suspect you were a victim of medical negligence? Call our lawyers in Las Vegas to schedule a 100% free case review today.
How Do I Prove Liability in a Medical Malpractice Case in Nevada?
Medical malpractice is a type of negligence. In most negligence cases, you have to establish:
- A legal duty of care
- Breach of duty
All medical professionals owe their patients a legal duty of care. Doctors, nurses, and other medical providers are responsible for providing care that meets the medical standard of care.
To recover compensation for medical malpractice, the victim must establish:
- The applicable medical standard of care
- The doctor or healthcare provider deviated from the standard of care
- You suffered some type of harm, injury, or death
- The doctor’s mistake directly caused the harm or injury you suffered
Building a successful medical malpractice case can be challenging. The medical standard of care will vary from case to case, depending on the specific circumstances. In fact, in the State of Nevada, your case can be dismissed if you fail to provide an affidavit from an experienced medical practitioner.
Our lawyers have years of experience handling complex medical malpractice claims. We’ll hire medical experts who can help us understand the standard of care that applies in your case. With their help, we’ll have the tools we need to prove that the doctor’s mistake caused your injuries.
How Long Do I Have to File a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit in Nevada?
Under Nevada law, the statute of limitations in most medical malpractice cases is three years. That means you’ll have three years from the date of the injury to take legal action.
However, Nevada also follows a “discovery rule.” Even if the three-year deadline hasn’t passed, you could have less time to file a lawsuit. That’s because you must take legal action within one year of the date you discovered the injury or reasonably should have discovered the injury.
In other words, it’s possible that you could have only one year to file a lawsuit.
Missing the deadline has serious consequences. If you wait too long, you could lose your right to seek compensation entirely.
Contact a Las Vegas Medical Malpractice Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Were you or a family member harmed because of a medical mistake? Our lawyers are always available to discuss your case. To get started, call an experienced Las Vegas medical malpractice lawyer at Battle Born Injury Lawyers to schedule a free initial consultation today.
Our personal injury law firm in Las Vegas, NV also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Las Vegas, NV
- Birth Injury Attorneys in Las Vegas, NV
- Boating Accident Lawyer in Las Vegas, NV
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Las Vegas, NV
- Bus Accident Attorney in Las Vegas, NV
- Car Accident Lawyer in Las Vegas, NV
- Catastrophic Injury Attorneys in Las Vegas, NV
- Child Injury Attorney in Las Vegas, NV
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Las Vegas, NV
- Dog Bite Lawyer in Las Vegas, NV
- Lyft Accident Attorneys in Las Vegas, NV
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Las Vegas, NV
- Negligent Security Lawyers in Las Vegas, NV
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Las Vegas, NV
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Las Vegas, NV
- Product Liability Attorneys in Las Vegas, NV
- Slip and Fall Lawyers in Las Vegas, NV
- Truck Accident Attorney in Las Vegas, NV
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Las Vegas, NV
- Workers’ Compensation Attorneys in Las Vegas, NV
- Workplace Accident Lawyers in Las Vegas, NV
- Wrongful Death Attorney in Las Vegas, NV