Have you been bitten by a dog in Las Vegas, NV? You may be entitled to compensation for your medical treatment, loss of income, and distress. The experienced Las Vegas dog bite lawyers at Battle Born Injury Lawyers can help you work toward a maximum financial recovery.
Since 2010, our law firm has been committed to providing personal, compassionate, and effective legal representation to injury victims and families in Las Vegas. Putting 85+ years of experience behind every case, we’ve been able to win over $100 Million in damages for clients like you.
Give our law office in Las Vegas, Nevada, a call at (702) 570-9000 or reach out to us online to arrange a time for a free, no-obligation case evaluation. We’re standing by to provide help when you need it most.
How Our Las Vegas Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help If You’ve Been Attacked By a Dog
Dog attacks can cause catastrophic physical injuries and leave victims struggling with emotional trauma for the rest of their lives. Dog owners – and other responsible parties – must be held accountable when these vicious attacks happen.
Our personal injury lawyers in Las Vegas are ready to take on your fight for compensation so that you can focus your time and attention on what matters most: getting better.
While you take the time you need to heal, our award-winning Nevada trial attorneys will:
- Investigate the circumstances surrounding your dog bite attack
- Determine if the dog has a history of viciousness or has bitten anyone in the past
- Gather evidence to demonstrate that the dog’s owner should be held financially accountable for your resulting injuries and trauma
- Bring in experts to help us build and value your dog bite injury case
- Defend against any allegations that you provoked the animal or share responsibility for getting hurt
- Negotiate with the owner and/or their insurance company on your behalf
- Bring your case to a jury in Clark County if you’re not offered a fair settlement
At Battle Born Injury Lawyers, we work on contingency. There’s no cost to hire our law firm unless our dog bite attorneys win your case. Contact us to learn more and schedule your free case assessment today.
How Common Are Dog Bites in Nevada?
According to the CDC, roughly 4.5 million dog bites happen across the nation every year. Some of these bites are minor, while others result in serious and catastrophic injuries.
Sadly, several dog bites are fatal every year. In the 16-year period between 2005 and 2020, 568 people suffered fatal dog bite injuries.
Does Nevada Have a One Bite Rule?
The State of Nevada does have a one-bite rule.
Under it, a dog’s owner essentially gets “one free bite” if a dog attacks someone.
Dog owners will be strictly liable if:
- The dog has bitten or attacked someone in the past, and
- The owner knew about the dog’s previous vicious history.
Both of these things must be true for strict liability to kick in under the one-bite rule.
Holding Dog Owners Responsible For Negligence Under Nevada State Law
Just because owners may not be strictly liable for a dog’s first bite, it doesn’t mean they won’t be liable if they were negligent in caring for the animal.
Owner negligence might look like:
- Not having a fenced-in yard for their animal
- Failing to take adequate care of the animal
- Not having a dog properly restrained on the premises
- Antagonizing the animal or intentionally causing it to be unfriendly toward others
Dog owners can also be negligent per se if they violate a law that is intended to keep you safe and you get hurt as a consequence.
For instance, Las Vegas and Clark County both have leash laws in place. Unless you are at a dog park, dogs must always be on a leash when they are in public.
If you are bitten by an unleashed dog in Las Vegas, you won’t have to prove all the elements of negligence. Instead, you can point to the violation of the leash law as proof of the owner’s liability.
You’ll just have to establish that this behavior caused your injuries and that you’ve suffered damages as a result.
Who Other Than the Dog’s Owner Could Be Liable For My Injuries?
Dog owners are not the only ones who can be held financially accountable for the consequences of a dog attack.
Anyone who maintains control of property or is responsible for an animal can also be on the hook for damages.
This can include:
- Property owners
- Government agencies
Our personal injury attorneys will carefully investigate the circumstances of your dog attack to determine who, other than the owner, might be liable for your trauma.
How Much Is My Dog Bite Case Worth?
The value of your dog bite injury case will depend largely on the types of injuries you’ve suffered, how serious they are, and the overall impact the incident will have on your life.
The more your life changes and the more you suffer, the more money your case will typically be worth.
You also have to factor in things like your age and whether the attack has affected your ability to earn an income.
Since every case is different and every victim is unique, it’s best to speak directly with an experienced dog bite injury attorney in Las Vegas, NV, after you get hurt. Don’t hesitate to reach out to Battle Born Injury Lawyers to arrange a time for a free case evaluation today.
What Damages Can I Get If I’m Bitten By a Dog in Las Vegas, NV?
As a dog bite victim in Las Vegas, you should be entitled to both economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages are paid to offset the monetary cost and losses of your dog bite:
- Hospitalization and medical bills
- Future medical care
- Lost wages and income
- Reduced earning capacity
Non-economic damages are paid to compensate victims for the trauma of being bitten by a dog:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Reduced quality of life
- Loss of consortium
- Disfigurement and scarring
If there is evidence that the dog owner’s conduct was malicious, oppressive, or fraudulent, then punitive damages might also be applicable. However, the owner would have had to instruct the dog to bite you intentionally or have displayed a pattern of indifference to the dog’s aggressive behavior.
Dog Bite Injuries Can Be Catastrophic or Fatal
Dog bite injuries, particularly those in young children, can have lifelong consequences.
At Battle Born Injury Lawyers, we are here to help you if you’ve been bitten by a dog and sustained:
- Lacerations and cuts
- Broken bones and fractures
- Trauma to the eyes, nose, or face
- Vision loss
- Nerve damage
- Internal organ damage
- Spinal cord injury
Has someone you love been killed in a fatal animal attack in Las Vegas, Nevada? Contact our wrongful death attorneys to discuss your legal rights and options.
While money won’t bring your family member back, it can help to provide a sense of justice and offset the financial burdens you may face in the wake of their loss.
How Long Do I Have to File a Dog Bite Injury Lawsuit in Nevada?
You will have two years from the date of a dog bite or wrongful death to file a personal injury lawsuit in the state of Nevada.
Children who suffered dog bite injuries will have until two years from the date of their 18th birthday to take action.
Do not let time run out without filing a dog bite claim. Once the statute of limitation expires, so does your right to demand accountability and recover the compensation you deserve.
Schedule a Free Consultation With a Las Vegas Dog Bite Injury Lawyer
Negligent dog owners must be held fully accountable for the actions of their aggressive dogs. Don’t let them off the hook if you’ve been bitten or attacked or know someone who has been.
Contact Battle Born Injury Lawyers and discover how our Las Vegas dog bite lawyers can help you seek full financial recovery for your costs and suffering.
We offer a free consultation at our law office serving Las Vegas, Nevada, or a location convenient for you. Give us a call to schedule a time for yours today.
Our personal injury law firm in Las Vegas, NV also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Las Vegas, NV
- Birth Injury Attorneys in Las Vegas, NV
- Boating Accident Lawyer in Las Vegas, NV
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Las Vegas, NV
- Bus Accident Attorney in Las Vegas, NV
- Car Accident Lawyer in Las Vegas, NV
- Catastrophic Injury Attorneys in Las Vegas, NV
- Child Injury Attorney in Las Vegas, NV
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Las Vegas, NV
- Lyft Accident Attorneys in Las Vegas, NV
- Medical Malpractice Attorney in Las Vegas, NV
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Las Vegas, NV
- Negligent Security Lawyers in Las Vegas, NV
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Las Vegas, NV
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Las Vegas, NV
- Product Liability Attorneys in Las Vegas, NV
- Slip and Fall Lawyers in Las Vegas, NV
- Truck Accident Attorney in Las Vegas, NV
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Las Vegas, NV
- Workers’ Compensation Attorneys in Las Vegas, NV
- Workplace Accident Lawyers in Las Vegas, NV
- Wrongful Death Attorney in Las Vegas, NV