Were you involved in an accident caused by a truck driver’s drug or alcohol use in Las Vegas, Nevada? If so, you’re likely dealing with devastating injuries and costly medical bills. Unfortunately, securing fair compensation from the at-fault parties may not be easy.
The experienced legal team at Battle Born Injury Lawyers is here to help you after a debilitating truck accident. With more than eight decades of combined legal experience, our Las Vegas personal injury lawyers have won over $100 million for clients throughout Nevada.
We’re here to help you put the pieces back together and hold the responsible parties accountable for your damages. Call (702) 570-9000 or contact our Las Vegas, NV law firm online today to schedule a free initial consultation with a compassionate attorney who is ready to fight for you.
How Battle Born Injury Lawyers Can Help After an Accident Caused By Truck Driver Drug or Alcohol Use in Las Vegas
Any DUI-related accident is dangerous, but a collision with a massive semi-truck operated by an intoxicated driver can be catastrophic. These vehicles can weigh up to 80,000 pounds. Compare that to a passenger car, and you can see why occupants of other motor vehicles tend to suffer the most harm in collisions with tractor-trailers.
Added to the equation is the complexity of truck accident cases, which often involve multiple parties and complicated trucking regulations. The Las Vegas truck accident attorneys at Battle Born Injury Lawyers know how to stand up to trucking corporations and giant insurance companies to get the compensation accident victims deserve.
When you hire our skilled lawyers to handle your Las Vegas truck accident case, you can expect us to:
- Investigate the accident and help you prove that the truck driver’s drug or alcohol use caused the collision
- Help you value the full extent of your damages, including future physical therapy, medical needs, and lost earning capacity
- Negotiate and protect you against allegations that you share blame for causing the crash
- Follow any state or federal investigations or criminal proceedings that arise from the accident
- Fiercely advocate for you in court if settlement negotiations fail to yield a fair result
Don’t try to take on a complex truck accident case alone. Contact our law office to schedule a free consultation with our experienced Las Vegas personal injury attorneys. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning you can retain our services without worrying about any upfront costs.
How Common Are Accidents Involving Truckers Driving Under the Influence of Drugs or Alcohol in Nevada?
Data from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) indicates that in 2019, 6% of truck drivers involved in deadly collisions tested positive for a drug. However, this number is likely much higher because 59% of these drivers weren’t tested for drugs.
Nationwide, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reported that 3% of fatal large truck crashes involved alcohol-impaired drivers in 2020. The State of Nevada was shockingly over the national average, with 10% of the statewide fatal truck collisions involving alcohol impairment.
What Are the Commercial Trucking Industry’s Drug and Alcohol Testing Requirements?
The FMCSA regulates the commercial trucking industry under Title 49 of the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). 49 CFR Part 40 and Part 382 contain guidelines and rules regarding drug and alcohol testing.
These testing regulations aim to prevent DUI accidents and apply to people who operate commercial vehicles (i.e., those with a commercial driver’s license or CDL) and their employers.
Pursuant to regulations, trucking companies that employ drivers must:
- Test new truck drivers for drugs and alcohol before allowing them to drive a commercial truck
- Perform random drug and alcohol tests
- Test truckers who are involved in an accident that causes a fatality
- Test truckers who receive a traffic citation for an accident that causes an injury or disabling damage
- Test truckers who appear to be using drugs or alcohol (reasonable suspicion testing)
- Suspend truckers who refuse to take a test or fail a test
- Test truckers who’ve returned to duty after a suspension for refusing to take a test, testing positive, or otherwise violating alcohol or controlled substance-related rules
- Perform follow-up tests on truckers who have returned to duty after a substance abuse-related violation
- Enact policies on the misuse of controlled substances and alcohol and ensure that all employees can access the information
Supervisors must receive training so that they’re able to recognize the signs of alcohol and drug misuse and adequately perform reasonable suspicion testing.
What Types of Injuries Are Caused By Accidents Involving Truck Driver Drug and Alcohol Use?
Semi-truck accidents tend to cause severe injuries that can impact your life forever.
Our Las Vegas truck accident lawyers have helped victims who have sustained all types of injuries, including:
- Amputation injuries
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord injuries
- Nerve damage
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Chest injuries
- Neck injuries, including whiplash
- Back injuries
- Damage to internal organs
- Paralysis and other catastrophic injuries
- And more
If you lost a loved one in a truck accident in Las Vegas, we’ll help you file a wrongful death claim while you focus on grieving your unimaginable loss.
Who Is Liable When a Truck Driver’s Drug or Alcohol Use Causes a Collision in Nevada?
Truck accident claims are difficult because they could involve multiple parties. Just because the truck driver was drunk doesn’t mean they’ll automatically be liable for your damages. The trucking company might be vicariously liable for the actions of its drivers – especially if it failed to implement the required drug and alcohol testing programs or violated other federal or state regulations.
Contact Our Truck Accident Lawyers in Las Vegas, NV After a Crash Caused By Truck Driver Drug or Alcohol Use
If you or someone you love was in an accident involving a truck driver’s alcohol or drug use in Las Vegas, NV, contact Battle Born Injury Lawyers today to speak with a compassionate legal advocate. Our truck accident lawyers in Las Vegas know how to get optimal results for our clients, so let us fight for you.
Related Truck Accident Resources
- Jackknife Accidents in Las Vegas, NV
- Lost Load Truck Accidents in Nevada
- Tractor Trailer Tire Blowouts
- How Much Do Semi Trucks Weigh?
- How Long Does It Take To Settle An 18-Wheeler Accident Case in Las Vegas, NV?
- How Fast Can Commercial Trucks Safely Travel on Highways in Las Vegas, NV?
- Do I Need To File a Police Report After a Las Vegas Truck Accident?
- Can Trucks Drive in the Left Lane in Las Vegas, NV?