When you think of a car accident, you don’t normally think of a car hitting a house. However, this type of accident occurs more often than most people realize. Obviously, a car can damage your home. But how do you seek compensation when something like this happens? Fortunately, there are ways to do so.

Why Do Cars Hit Houses?

A car might collide with a house for a number of reasons, including the following:

  • The driver was intoxicated by alcohol or drugs.
  • The driver fell asleep at the wheel.
  • The driver failed to successfully round a sharp turn.
  • The car experienced a tire blowout, making the car impossible to control.
  • The driver swerved to avoid debris in the road.
  • Street racing.
  • Brake failure.
  • Steering wheel failure.

Although these are the most common reasons why cars run into houses, they are not the only reasons.

Steps to Take If a Car Hits Your House

If your house is damaged by a car accident, maintain your presence of mind and take the following steps:

  • Call 911 to report the accident and tell the dispatcher, “A car crashed into my house.” The police will come and take a report, and an ambulance will arrive to take any injured persons to the hospital.
  • Exchange information with a driver just as if they had collided with your car. You will need the driver’s name, contact details, and insurance policy. You will also need the car’s plate number as well as its make and model. Get the car’s VIN if you know where to look for it.
  • Ask the responding officer how to get a copy of the accident report. You probably can’t use it in court, but will need one for insurance purposes.
  • Call your homeowners’ insurance company to report the accident.
  • Take photos of the car, its plate number, the scene of the accident, any damage to your house, any injuries, and anything else you find relevant.
  • If your house is exposed to the weather (in other words, if there is a hole in your wall), call your restoration contractor to board it up.
  • Leave the scene of the accident alone as much as you can. Treat it like a crime scene. You will need the insurance adjuster to take a look at it.
  • Turn over your information about the driver to your homeowner’s insurance company (keep a copy). Do not contact the driver directly. 
  • Keep detailed records of all your interactions with your insurance company and the restoration contractor.

It might require significant repair before your home gets back to normal.

Insurance Compensation

There are two possible resources to compensate you for the damage to your home: the driver’s liability insurance policy and your homeowners’ insurance policy.

Property Damage Liability Insurance

Nevada’s auto insurance requirements include $20,000 in property damage liability insurance. Hopefully, this will be enough to cover your claim. Of course, the driver might have fled the scene of the accident, or they might not have been carrying auto insurance despite the legal requirement to do so. Even if the driver was fully insured, $20,000 might not be enough. Talk to your lawyer about filing a third-party claim against the driver’s liability insurance policy, Battle Born Injury Lawyers can help you!

Homeowner’s Insurance

The driver’s auto liability insurance should be your first resort. If that’s not enough, your homeowner’s insurance can probably pick up the slack. Check the terms of your policy to confirm. If you are renting, the damage might not be your responsibility, although you will probably want to see it repaired ASAP. If the damage is your responsibility, check out your renter’s insurance policy to see if you have coverage.

A Nevada Car Accident Lawyer Can Help

To be sure, most car accident cases don’t involve damage to a residence. An experienced car accident lawyer, however, will probably have handled this kind of case before. They will also be familiar with how to negotiate various kinds of property damage claims with insurance adjusters. If the damage to your home is significant, a lawyer can save you more money than they are likely to cost you.

Contact the Reno Car Accident Attorneys at Battle Born Injury Lawyers Today

If you or a loved one were injured in an accident in Reno and you need legal assistance, contact our car accident attorneys at Battle Born Injury Lawyers and schedule a free consultation with our legal team.

Battle Born Injury Lawyers – Reno Office
675 W Moana Ln #206
Reno, NV 89509, USA
(775) 535-7768

Battle Born Injury Lawyers
400 S 4th St Suite 290,
Las Vegas, NV 89101
(702) 357-4868

Battle Born Injury Lawyers – Las Vegas Office
10789 W Twain Ave #100
Las Vegas, NV 89135
(702) 570-9000

Battle Born Injury Lawyers – Henderson Office
8540 S Eastern Ave #200
Henderson, NV 89123
(702) 500-0287