Battle Born Injury Lawyers | July 7, 2022 | Motorcycle Accidents
If you suffered an injury in a motorcycle accident in Las Vegas, NV, you probably need a lawyer. Without a lawyer, you may receive no compensation at all or far less than the amount you deserve. Such a result could be devastating since many motorcycle accidents involve severe and life-altering injuries.
What Can a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Do For You?
A skilled motorcycle accident lawyer – meaning someone who regularly handles personal injury claims — can help you in many different ways. Below are descriptions of a few benefits of hiring a motorcycle accident attorney.
Investigate Your Claim
Your lawyer’s investigation of your claim starts with the initial case evaluation, should you choose to hire the lawyer with whom you’ve scheduled your consultation. Your lawyer will ask questions about your case and may ask you to provide any relevant documentation that is in your possession.
Once you hire the attorney, they will also:
- Locate and interview witnesses
- Photograph the scene of the accident
- Gather your medical records
- Seek evidence from the other vehicle’s event data recorder (EDR) if it has one
- Locate expert witnesses who can testify in your favor
Your lawyer can also gather many other forms of evidence–perhaps even CCTV footage of the accident itself.
Explain Your Legal Rights to You
A good Las Vegas lawyer can explain your legal rights and options clearly and concisely, minus the legalese.
Some of the advice your lawyer can offer includes:
- A professional estimate of the ultimate value of your claim: Underestimating the value of your claim is a big mistake because you will end up settling for far less than you deserve. You might deserve four or five times the amount you think you do.
- The statute of limitations: Under most (but not all) circumstances, you have until two years after the accident to file a personal injury lawsuit. An insurance company might use delay tactics to make you miss this deadline. Your attorney won’t let that happen.
- The pretrial discovery process: If you file a lawsuit, you can demand evidence that is in the other party’s possession, including witness testimony. It is important to realize that filing a lawsuit doesn’t mean you have to give up on settling your case–you can always withdraw your lawsuit later.
As a motorcycle accident victim, you have many other rights that your lawyer can advise you of and explain.
Negotiate With the Opposing Party
Insurance adjusters are professional negotiators-–but so are skilled motorcycle accident lawyers. Insurance adjusters will use many strategies to minimize or even deny your claim. An experienced motorcycle accident attorney won’t fall for them. The insurance adjuster will strongly prefer settlement over courtroom litigation if the lawyer has a good track record of winning at trial.
There is nothing unusual about having your lawyer negotiate your entire claim for you. Your lawyer cannot settle your claim without your permission.
Locate Additional Defendants
Nevada only requires its drivers to purchase $25,000 per person in bodily injury liability insurance ($50,000 per accident). Many Nevada drivers carry only the minimum amount of bodily injury liability insurance. What do you do if your losses exceed these policy limits?
Depending on your circumstances, a good lawyer might be able to locate additional sources of compensation for you, such as:
- The driver’s employer, if they were acting within the scope of their employment at the time of the accident
- The manufacturer of a defective auto or motorcycle part that may have contributed to your accident
- A social host, if the driver was a minor and the accident was the result of the minor’s intoxication
Many other parties might have contributed to your accident. An attorney will locate all avenues for compensation to ensure you receive the amount you deserve.
Reach Out To a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer for a Free Case Consultation if You Were Hurt in a Collision in Las Vegas
People who retain lawyers to represent them in personal injury cases typically receive more money than people who don’t, even after accounting for legal fees. Most motorcycle accident lawyers offer free initial consultations. The main benefits of an initial consultation are that you can discover whether you can win your claim and, if so, how much it is worth.
Contact the Las Vegas Motorcycle Accident Attorneys at Battle Born Injury Lawyers Today
If you or a loved one were injured in an accident in Las Vegas and you need legal assistance, contact our motorcycle accident attorneys at Battle Born Injury Lawyers and schedule a free consultation with our legal team.