In Nevada, there are different commercial driver’s licenses (CDLs) you can get. The Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is in charge of giving out all driver’s licenses, including CDLs. 

There are several kinds of CDLs for different kinds of trucks. It’s important to figure out which CDL you need for the truck you want to drive.

Class A CDL in Nevada

In Las Vegas, a Class A CDL is necessary for drivers of combination vehicles with a total weight of over 26,000 pounds. Specifically, this license is also required when the trailer being towed is over 10,000 pounds. 

It’s the license for hauling the biggest loads. If you’re aiming to drive big rigs or other large combinations, this is the CDL you’ll need.

Class B CDL in Nevada

For those driving single vehicles weighing more than 26,001 pounds or towing a vehicle not over 10,000 pounds, a Class B CDL is required. 

This class is suited for drivers of large straight trucks. These trucks are usually involved in local deliveries and operations. If your goal is to drive dump trucks or large buses, consider getting a Class B license.

Class C CDL in Nevada

A Class C CDL is for drivers of vehicles that don’t fit the weight criteria of Class A or B but are designed to carry 16 or more passengers or transport hazardous materials. This license covers smaller vehicles that require special handling or carry certain types of cargo. 

If you’re planning on driving a passenger van or a small truck carrying hazardous materials, you’ll need a Class C CDL.


Beyond the basic CDL in Nevada, specific endorsements might be necessary based on the vehicle you drive and the cargo you transport. These endorsements add to your qualifications and allow you to handle a wider range of driving situations:

  • T Endorsement is for those driving double or triple trailers. It’s essential for drivers looking to haul more than one trailer at a time.
  • P Endorsement is required for drivers operating passenger vehicles. This is crucial if you’re driving buses or large vans designed to carry passengers.
  • N Endorsement is for tank vehicles. Drivers transporting liquids or gases in bulk will need this endorsement.
  • H Endorsement is necessary for hazardous materials. If you’re hauling any materials that require special handling due to their hazardous nature, you must have this endorsement.
  • X Endorsement combines hazardous materials and tanker endorsements. It’s for drivers who transport hazardous materials in tank vehicles.
  • S Endorsement is for school bus drivers. Anyone driving a school bus to transport students needs this endorsement.

When you’re ready for your commercial learner’s permit or your CDL, you’ll test for these endorsements. Remember, permit holders are limited to the P, S, and N endorsements until they obtain their full CDL.

Nevada Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP) Requirements

In Nevada, if you’re aiming for a commercial driver’s license (CDL), you first need to get a commercial learner’s permit (CLP). You must hold this permit for at least 14 days before you can take the skills test to get your full CDL. 

To hold a Nevada CLP, you need to have a lower class of Nevada license, which could be a non-commercial driver’s license or a lower-class commercial license. 

Moreover, while holding a CLP, you must always be accompanied by a licensed CDL driver who is at least 25 years old. This supervising driver must have held the necessary classifications and endorsements for at least a year and have a recent medical certificate. 

Costs of a Nevada Commercial Driver’s License

To start a commercial driving career in Nevada, visiting a CDL office is the first step for obtaining both a commercial learner’s permit (CLP) and a commercial driver’s license (CDL). Candidates must pass a basic knowledge test and submit a Medical Examination Card to get their CLP. 

The costs involved in obtaining a CDL in Nevada include:

  • Learner’s Permit: $57.25
  • CDL: $141.25
  • Each Endorsement: $14
  • Renewals range from $57.25 to $141.25, depending on the license type.

Regarding age requirements, you must be at least 21 years old to drive a commercial motor vehicle across state lines, to qualify for a passenger endorsement, or to handle hazardous materials. 

However, individuals aged 18 to 20 can only drive commercial vehicles within Nevada state borders and are restricted from operating vehicles that require drivers to be older. 

Contact the Las Vegas Personal Injury Attorneys at Battle Born Injury Lawyers Today

If you or a loved one were injured in an accident in Las Vegas and you need legal assistance, contact our personal injury attorneys at Battle Born Injury Lawyers and schedule a free consultation with our legal team.

Battle Born Injury Lawyers
400 S 4th St Suite 290,
Las Vegas, NV 89101
(702) 357-4868

Battle Born Injury Lawyers – Las Vegas Office
10789 W Twain Ave #100
Las Vegas, NV 89135
(702) 570-9000

Battle Born Injury Lawyers – Reno Office
675 W Moana Ln #206
Reno, NV 89509, USA
(775) 535-7768

Battle Born Injury Lawyers – Henderson Office
8540 S Eastern Ave #200
Henderson, NV 89123
(702) 500-0287