Battle Born Injury Lawyers | February 22, 2023 | Car Accidents
If you are purchasing an auto insurance policy or considering making changes to your existing policy, you might be wondering, “Should I purchase uninsured motorist coverage?” and “What are the pros and cons of this type of insurance product?”
Insurance can be confusing, but the car accident lawyers at Battle Born Injury Lawyers can help explain this type of insurance coverage, what it does, and its pros and cons.
Minimum Insurance Requirements in Nevada
It is the law in Nevada for all drivers to maintain auto liability coverage in minimum amounts. Liability coverage pays for the damages the at-fault driver causes another driver and their passengers. The minimum amounts of liability coverage that each driver must maintain are:
- $25,000 for bodily injury per person
- $20,000 for property damage
- $50,000 for bodily injury per accident
Failing to maintain this insurance can subject drivers to fines, as well as potential personal liability, in the event that they cause a crash.
What Is Uninsured Motorist Coverage?
Uninsured motorist coverage provides coverage in case you are hit by a driver without insurance. Nevada insurance companies must at least offer uninsured motorist coverage to customers in the state. However, drivers can choose to reject it, according to Nevada law. This coverage pays for your and your passengers’ medical costs, which is often the largest expense associated with auto accidents.
Uninsured motorist coverage must be in amounts at least equal to the liability minimum limits of $25,000 bodily injury, $50,000 bodily injury per accident, and $20,000 property damage. Higher limits can be purchased.
Pros of Uninsured Motorist Coverage
There are several benefits of obtaining uninsured motorist coverage, including:
- Having uninsured motorist coverage can give you the peace of mind of knowing that you are covered even if you are involved in an accident with an uninsured driver.
- You can avoid getting stuck with expensive medical bills caused by an uninsured driver.
- You can deal with your own insurance company if you have to file an uninsured motorist claim rather than trying to pursue a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault driver.
- Uninsured motorist coverage can provide payment for immediate medical expenses, as well as needs for ongoing care.
These reasons are often enough evidence to convince drivers to purchase uninsured motorist coverage.
Cons of Uninsured Motorist Coverage
The main drawback of uninsured motorist coverage is the associated cost. Insurance costs more as you expand your coverage. If you are tight on your budget, paying more each month may not make sense. You can expect to pay about 3% to 6% more to add this coverage to your policy.
However, it is important to keep in mind what might happen if you do not have uninsured motorist coverage and are involved in a wreck with someone who lacks insurance. This might entail:
- You are billed for emergency services.
- You try to use your health insurance, but your claim is denied or still leaves you with significant expenses.
- Your injuries cause you to lose a month of work, but you only have five sick days of coverage.
- There is no insurance company to file a claim with for your damages.
- You decide to sue the at-fault driver. However, the uninsured driver also isn’t working and has no assets to attach, so there’s no way for you to enforce a judgment against them.
As shown, there can be significant risks to not purchasing uninsured motorist coverage.
An Experienced Las Vegas Car Accident Lawyer Can Help
Being involved in an accident with an uninsured motorist can be devastating in numerous ways. Fortunately, contacting a Las Vegas car accident attorney for help going over your legal rights and options could be of great benefit to you. Most lawyers in this area of the law offer a free consultation, so it won’t hurt your pocket to reach out for legal advice.
Contact the Las Vegas Car Accident Attorneys at Battle Born Injury Lawyers Today
If you or a loved one were injured in an accident in Las Vegas and you need legal assistance, contact our car accident attorneys at Battle Born Injury Lawyers and schedule a free consultation with our legal team.