Did you or a family member suffer a life-altering injury in Reno, NV? Recovering fair compensation from the responsible parties can be one of the most important things you ever do. An experienced Reno catastrophic injury lawyer at Battle Born Injury Lawyers can help you fight to recover compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
Our lawyers have over 85 years of combined experience handling complex personal injury claims. We’ve used that experience to help our injured clients recover over $100 million in compensation over the years.
You deserve a skilled advocate in your corner as you navigate this difficult time. Contact our law offices in Reno, Nevada, to schedule a free consultation today at (775) 535-7768.
How Will Battle Born Injury Lawyers Help With My Catastrophic Injury Claim in Reno, NV?
From the moment you suffer a catastrophic injury, everything in your life will change. While you struggle with unimaginable physical and emotional losses, you will quickly start to see the costs add up. You may be faced with expenses that you could never have imagined.
You’re probably also dealing with the frustration of knowing that your injuries only occurred because of someone else’s careless, reckless or wrongful acts. An experienced Reno personal injury lawyer can help you fight for justice.
At Battle Born Injury Lawyers, our team has been recognized by Super Lawyers and the Nevada Business Journal Legal Elite. We’ve earned a perfect 10 Avvo rating and been recognized with the Avvo Client’s Choice Award.
When you hire our lawyers, we’ll have the ability to:
- Provide the quality legal advice you deserve
- Investigate the circumstances of your accident and injury
- Gather and evaluate evidence to establish liability
- Handle all administrative tasks and paperwork
- Hire experts in various specialties, including medicine, rehabilitation, economics, and life planning
- Stand up and protect you if the insurance company tries to blame you for causing your injuries
- Handle all insurance negotiations on your behalf
We want to help your family recover the maximum compensation possible. To learn more about how an experienced Reno personal injury attorney can help you get the money you need, call for a free case review.
When Is an Injury Classified as Catastrophic?
Catastrophic injuries are the types of injuries that have permanent consequences for the victim. These injuries can impact every aspect of your life.
Most victims of catastrophic injuries are completely unable to perform any type of work to earn a living. They also require extensive and ongoing medical treatment, around-the-clock care, and rehabilitation. It may be impossible to independently perform the most basic activities of daily living. These factors can lead to significant financial stress.
Even if the injury does not cause permanent impairment, it can take years of rehabilitation for a catastrophic injury victim to regain function.
We Handle All Types of Catastrophic Injury Claims
Any type of serious injury can prove to be catastrophic.
Some examples of catastrophic injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord damage that can cause paralysis
- Severe burns that cover a large portion of the body
- Amputations and loss of limbs
- Vision loss
- Hearing loss
- Internal organ damage
Treating these injuries can be extremely expensive. Even with health insurance, you likely will incur significant expenses. If someone else was responsible for your injuries, you deserve to be compensated. Contact our Reno catastrophic injury attorneys today to learn more about how we can help you fight for fair compensation.
What Are the Long-Term Consequences of Catastrophic Injuries?
By definition, catastrophic injuries will have severe long-term consequences.
Some of the common long-term damage caused by a catastrophic injury include:
- Loss of mobility
- Cognitive impairments and disabilities
- Chronic pain
- Around-the-clock nursing care
- Medical devices and prostheses
- Home and vehicle modifications
- Hospital-acquired infections
- Bed sores
- Respiratory disorders
- Blood clots
- Wrongful death
Even when a victim survives these severe injuries, the emotional damage can last a lifetime. Many victims of catastrophic injuries suffer from severe depression and PTSD.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Catastrophic Injuries?
Almost any type of accident can result in catastrophic injuries if it’s severe enough.
At Battle Born Injury Lawyers, we handle all types of catastrophic injury claims, including cases involving:
- Motor vehicle accidents, including car accidents, motorcycle accidents, pedestrian accidents, and bicycle accidents
- Workplace and construction accidents
- Slip, trip, and fall accidents
- Truck accidents
- Accidents involving recreational vehicles
- Sports accidents
- Fires and explosions
- Dog bites and animal attacks
- Defective products
- Exposure to toxic substances
- Medical malpractice, including birth injuries
- Nursing home abuse and neglect
- Dangerous property conditions and premises liability
- Assault and violence
- Negligent security
Most of these injuries happen because someone was negligent. Our lawyers understand that you’re probably feeling angry and overwhelmed. We’re here to help you identify all parties who are responsible for your accident and injuries.
When you’re ready to get started, contact our personal injury law firm in Reno to learn more about how we can advocate for your rights.
How Much Is My Reno Catastrophic Injury Case Worth?
Catastrophic injury claims are often complicated because they’re worth more than your typical personal injury case. Insurance companies know that. They’ll work hard to downplay your injuries and pay less than you deserve.
An experienced attorney can help you assess your damages. Our team at Battle Born Injury Lawyers will even bring in experts who can help establish the fair value of your future losses–which could include a lifetime of medical treatment and rehabilitation.
The value of your case will depend heavily on the following factors:
- The type of injury involved
- The nature of your medical treatment
- The types of assistance and care you will need going forward
- Your earning capacity prior to the disability
- The types of pain and suffering you have endured
- How the injury has impacted your quality of life, lifestyle, and ability to live without assistance
- Your age and life expectancy prior to the accident and injury
- Whether you contributed to the accident in any way
- Whether liability can be clearly established
Expert witness testimony can be critical in cases involving catastrophic injuries. While it’s impossible to know exactly what the future holds, experts and specialists can use their expertise to offer an educated estimate of your future costs. This type of evidence can go a long way toward convincing the insurance company about how much your case is really worth.
What Compensation Can I Recover if I Sustained Catastrophic Injuries in Reno, Nevada?
Victims of catastrophic injuries often suffer the most significant losses imaginable. In a successful personal injury case, you can recover compensation to cover both financial losses and your non-economic personal losses.
Examples of the types of compensation you may deserve in catastrophic injury cases include:
- Current medical bills, including ER visits, hospitalization, medications, and more
- Future medical expenses, including surgeries, medical devices, and prostheses
- Lost wages
- Lost future earning capacity
- Physical therapy
- Nursing care
- Long-term care
- Modifications to your home and vehicle
- In-home assistance
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Depression, PTSD, anxiety, and other mental health issues
- Loss of your independence
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
Remember that you’re entitled to compensation for both past and future expenses. Even if the insurance company offers a settlement that will cover your medical bills to date, you must consider your future needs if your injuries were severe.
Can I Recover Compensation if I’m Partly To Blame For Causing My Own Injuries?
Even when your injuries are catastrophic, insurance companies may try to blame you for causing your own injuries. You won’t automatically lose your right to compensation even if you do share some blame.
Nevada has adopted a modified comparative negligence law with a 51% bar to recovery. You can recover compensation if you were less than 51% responsible for the injury. In other words, you can pursue compensation as long as you weren’t mostly responsible for your own injuries.
Even if you were less than 51% to blame, your damages can be reduced if the insurance company can prove you were even slightly responsible.
If you were 25% responsible, for example, you can only recover 75% of your damages. If someone else sustained damages in the same accident, you can also be held liable for 25% of their damages.
Nevada Law Limits the Amount of Time You Have To File a Catastrophic Injury Lawsuit
The statute of limitations depends on how your injuries occurred. Most accident victims have two years to file a personal injury lawsuit in the State of Nevada. After two years, you won’t be able to seek compensation for your injuries.
The deadline may be different if your injuries were caused by medical malpractice or if the victim was a minor at the time of the accident.
Contact a Reno Catastrophic Injury Lawyer for a Free Consultation
If you or a loved one sustained life-altering injuries in an accident, you deserve a knowledgeable advocate in your corner. A Reno catastrophic injury attorney can improve your chances of recovering meaningful financial compensation. Contact Battle Born Injury Lawyers to learn more about how we can help you recover the compensation you deserve.