Being injured in a car accident in Las Vegas, NV, can e a traumatic event. It can also be costly.
Holding the at-fault driver liable for damages can help you recover your losses. But what happens when a hit-and-run driver causes the accident? Can you still recover compensation for your injuries and damages?
Battle Born Injury Lawyers has been fighting for the rights of accident victims since 2010. Our Las Vegas hit-and-run accident lawyers have recovered over $100 million for our clients in judgments and settlements. Let us work to get you the money you deserve for a car accident claim.
How Our Las Vegas Car Accident Lawyers Can Help You With an Accident Claim
Our lawyers have over 85 years of combined legal experience. They also have over 40 years of combined insurance defense experience. Therefore, they understand how insurance companies fight claims and how to fight back.
Battle Born Injury Lawyers has been recognized by top legal organizations locally and nationally. Organizations recognizing our lawyers as aggressive advocates for injury victims include The National Trial Lawyers Top 100, Super Lawyers, Nevada Business Journal, and the American Society of Legal Advocates. In addition, we have an AV Preeminent rating Martindale-Hubbell and received the Avvo Clients’ Choice awards.
- Analyze your case and explain your options for recovering compensation for damages
- Investigate the cause of the car accident to identify all responsible parties and gather evidence proving fault and liability
- Handle the insurance company for you, including filing insurance claims and negotiating settlements
- Document your injuries and damages to calculate the maximum value of your injury claim
- Work with medical specialists, financial professionals, accident reconstructionists, and other expert witnesses
- Aggressively represent you in court if a settlement is not possible
We are ready to start working on your case. Call now for your free consultation with one of our experienced car accident attorneys in Las Vegas, Nevada.
What Steps Should I Take After an Accident With a Hit-and-Run Driver in Las Vegas?
Try not to panic. The steps you take after a hit-and-run crash can help you recover compensation for your injuries, even though the other driver fled the accident scene. Steps to take after a hit-and-run car accident include:
- Report the accident to the police immediately and request assistance.
- Make notes about everything you can remember about the other vehicle, including the color, make, model, and license plate number.
- If possible, take photographs of the accident scene and the property damage to your vehicle.
- Search for pieces of the other vehicle that might have fallen off that could be used to identify the hit-and-run driver if it is safe to do so. Then, show those items to the police officers so they can preserve the evidence correctly.
- Ask eyewitnesses for their names and contact information. Note any traffic cameras or businesses that could have surveillance cameras.
- Seek immediate medical treatment for your injuries. Delays in medical care complicate a personal injury case.
As soon as possible, contact our Las Vegas hit-and-run accident attorneys so that we can start investigating the accident and preparing to file insurance claims.
Filing Claims for Hit-And-Run Accidents in Las Vegas
You can file a claim with the driver’s automobile insurance provider if the driver is found. All Nevada drivers are required to purchase and maintain automobile liability insurance.
However, what happens if you cannot locate a driver who flees the accident scene? You might be entitled to compensation from your insurance provider. Optional insurance coverage that could pay damages for a hit-and-run accident includes:
- Collision insurance compensates you for property damage to your vehicle caused by a crash
- Medical Payments (Medpay) coverage pays medical bills for accident injuries, regardless of who was at fault for the accident
- Uninsured Motorist (UM) Coverage compensates you for the injuries and damages caused by an uninsured driver or hit-and-run driver
If you have UM coverage, you could receive compensation for your economic damages, including lost wages, medical bills, and out-of-pocket expenses. In addition, you may also receive compensation for your non-economic damages, including pain and suffering and decreased quality of life.
However, UM claims are not automatically paid. You must prove the other driver caused the accident, which could be problematic if there are no eyewitnesses or other evidence. Call our Las Vegas injury lawyers for help.
Why Do Hit-And-Run Accidents in Las Vegas, Nevada Happen?
The NHTSA reported 2,564 fatalities caused by hit-and-run drivers in 2020. Based on auto accident data, that total represents a 26% increase from the figures for 2019. Hit-and-run drivers caused nearly a quarter of pedestrian deaths in 2020, and 22% of cyclist deaths resulted from hit-and-run crashes.
Drivers flee the scene of the accident for many reasons, such as:
- They did not have the required liability insurance coverage
- The driver was under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- The person did not have a valid driver’s license or was driving with a suspended license
- Issues with immigration or citizenship
- The driver had outstanding warrants or tickets
- The person panicked and left the scene
Regardless of the reason for leaving the scene of an accident, the driver can be charged with a misdemeanor or a felony under Nevada law. The driver can also be held financially liable for damages.
Other Common Causes of Car Accidents in Las Vegas, Nevada
- Distracted driving
- Head-on accidents
- Highway accidents
- Intersection accidents
- Multi-vehicle accidents
- Rear-end accidents
- Single vehicle accidents
- Speeding accidents
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Las Vegas Auto Accident Lawyers After a Hit-And-Run Crash
Hit-and-run accidents in Las Vegas, NV, can be frustrating and complicated. Contact us to schedule a free consultation with an experienced Las Vegas car accident attorney to discuss your options for recovering money for a hit-and-run crash.
Related Car Accident Resources
- Most Dangerous Roads and Intersections in Las Vegas, NV
- Las Vegas Car Accident Statistics
- Property Damage
- Can I Be Reimbursed for Lost Wages After a Car Accident in Las Vegas?
- Five Things to Know About Car Accident Settlement Agreements in Nevada
- How a Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help if You’re Being Blamed for an Accident